Hospice West Auckland exists so that terminally ill people in West Auckland, those at the end of life and those who grieve for them, experience death as a dignified and compassionately supported process.
Hospice West Auckland provides free 24 hour, 7 day a week specialist palliative care. Our focus is on relieving physical pain and emotional and/or spiritual concerns of patients, care givers and their families, so that they experience end of life in the best possible way.
Our community Hospice serves a diverse population of 220,000 throughout greater West Auckland, to the west coast beaches, Kumeu and Helensville, and up to the South Kaipara Heads. At any one time our service delivery teams are caring for more than 180 families in West Auckland.
Our income is partially sourced from a contact with the Waitemata District Health Board to provide specialist community palliative care services in West Auckland. The remainder is fundraised through donations, grants and trading income from our Hospice second hand goods shops. Our work could not continue without our 400 volunteers who work over 790 hours per week, serving in our retail shops and supporting our day respite programmes.
Hospice West Auckland was incorporated as a Charitable Trust in October 1987 and is a Registered Charity (CC 27137) under the Charities Act 2005. As a responsible charity we have adopted the following best practice fundraising policies:
- We minimise our fundraising expenses and keep well within industry guidelines.
- Our audited accounts are returned to the Charities Commission.
- Our annual accounts are publicly available on the Charities Register.
- We conduct our own fundraising and use volunteers wherever possible.
- We do not employ professional fundraising companies or pay commissions.
- We do not engage telemarketing companies to solicit donations.
- We do not carry out door to door collections.
In the financial year ended 30 June 2009 80% of our fundraising revenue was used to provide comprehensive, compassionate, responsive palliative care to patients, their care givers and families throughout greater West Auckland.